Monday, June 14, 2010

Thankful for asthma

I know it may sound odd, but I am very thankful that my son, Benjamin, had an asthama attack and I had to take him to the ER in the wee hours on Monday morning.

Benjamin woke up around 11:30 Sunday night coughing and wheezing. We gave him a breathing treatment, as we usually do when this happens, but it didn't really seem to help. My poor baby was very obviously struggling to breathe (very scary for a mom), so I decided to take him to the ER right away. (While we were gone, Ray was awake worrying and praying) They were able to get the wheezing under control with a steroid and we came home around 3:00 Monday morning. Ray and I were both very exhausted when we were finally able to crawl into bed! Our other children, however, slept very well the entire night (unaware of the situiation) and were wide awake at 7:30. UGH!!

Rather than sit around the house all morning... thinking about how tired we were, we decided to take the kids to the park. Hopefully they could burn some energy and take a nice, loooooong nap. :) I decided to put Anna's hair in a ponytail before we left the house. (This is where the praise comes in!) You see, Anna normally wears her hair down and puts a in a headband (she is trying to grow her bangs out). But because she was going to be running around outside, I decided to pull her hair back... that's when I saw it. I thought she had a scab on the back of her head and was wondering how she got it, but then I saw moving legs! A tick! Based on the last time she was outside, it had to have been there for at least 36 hours. (who knows when we would have noticed it!) We were able to get it out in one piece (along with some flesh) and Anna was a real trooper!

This afternoon she developed a low fever, so I called the pediatritian. They said her fever was borderline and they want us to keep a close eye on her. All day she has been acting pretty lethargic, has been complaining of nausea and her fever has gone up. (sigh) Right now she is sleeping soundly, but I cannot keep from worring. If she wakes with a fever in the morning, we are off to see the doctor. I am praying for you now, sweet Anna!

(I think I worry too much about my kids sometimes!)

2 comments:

  1. How is Anna doing? Did her fever finally go down? Praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna is doing better. Her fever is down and the bite is healing very well. We had a follow up appointment for Benjamin, and his pediatritian thinks he has allergies that are making the asthma worse. Hopefully we can figure out how to get that under control!

    ReplyDelete